Senate Bill #3071
The Philippine Design Competitiveness Act aims to establish a national design policy for the Philippines. The National Design Policy shall serve as the state’s strategy in promoting design as a driving force towards a sustainable economic growth and development and a catalyst for increasing the competitiveness of the country in the global market.
This policy shall be created to meet the following goals:
- Build design awareness by making good design accessible to everyone
- Create demand for good design
- Cultivate capabilities for good design and innovation
- Leverage good design for global competitiveness
- Apply good design to social innovation and government efficiency
- And ultimately, to create an environment and culture that values and drives Filipino innovation
WHAT I DID FOR THIS PROJECT:
As a consultant for Senator TG Guingona, I served as the connector between the lawmaker and representatives for the design industry. I also did extensive background research on design policies, went on site visits to different Asian design councils, and drafted the bill.
The initial round of committee hearings are done, and amendments have been recommended for the bill. It is currently up for second reading and interpellation at the Senate.
‘Creativity Nation’ (Philippine STAR, published July 2011)
The importance of design and innovation in national policy: Senate privilege speech